We donate them to legitimate charities. If your charity would like to get on this list, please send a request on your charity’s letterhead to us at Friends of Reston Regional Library, 11925 Bowman Towne Dr., Reston, VA 20190.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Monday, September 28, 2009
Why won't we be there? Because the ban on backpacks isn't enough. Until you ban dealers from bringing in those huge plastic bins that block the walkways and until you ban them from snatching everything then carelessly throwing books in piles all over the place, then this sale really isn't reader friendly.
And the most ironic part of all of this - we're retired booksellers ourselves.
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Saturday, September 26, 2009
The words for this week's ten word challenge were: Tibetan sky, symbols, won’t you come home Bill Baily, shadow figures, brain cortex, practice makes perfect, life, start of school, lavender, chow down And for the mini: mental hospital, falling leaves, apple cider, packing crates, clues
The Semi-Annual Friends of Reston Regional Library Used Book Sale is a great place to find a treasure that may change your life. Whether you dream of hiking under a Tibetan sky, growing and harvesting lavender, singing the old tune, “Won’t you come home Bill Baily?”, or understanding the intricacies of the brain cortex, we probably have a book or CD about it. Many people visit the fall sale because it’s at the start of school. One woman said yesterday that she found every one one of the books for her daughter’s AP English class in our literature section. One reason our book sale is the best in the region because we clearly mark everything that needs to be identified, using symbols or words. This sale we have received many compliments about the way the sale is organized. That’s because practice makes perfect. We have been doing this for years and years, and have learned each time how to implement things better the next time. Another reason for our success is that we have the best volunteers in the county, that’s for sure, and we take good care of them. One of the enticements to work the sale is that we chow down on food donated by local merchants that is truly tasteful. The third reason for our amazing sale success is the shadow figures such as Pam, Anne, Ron and Cheryl who make sure everything behind the scenes is on track as well. This is an amazing team, and it benefits the library by over $30k each sale. Good job everyone!
Next Week's Ten Word Challenge will be: family, cheese cake, 20 years ago, refrigerator, laugh and the world laughs with you, bath brush, zombies, African violets, butterflies, holding hands
And for the mini: monsters in the closet, roughly, bowling, menu, Pennsylvania
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
And we mean that about sets! You wouldn't believe how many great sets we have on offer this week at the Semi-Annual Used Book Sale!
As always, we have many Great Courses on audio CD or cassettes (depends on the series). Examples:
America and the New Global Economy
American Ideals: Founding a Republic of Virtue
Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning
Augustine: Philosopher & Saint
Big History: The Big Bang, Life on Earth and the Rise of Humanity
Business Law: Negligence and Torts
Classical Archaeology of Ancient Greece and Rome
Confucius, the Tao, the Ancestors and the Buddha: Religions of China
Quantum Mechanics: The Physics of the Microscopic World
Quest for Meaning: Value, Ethics and the Modern Experience
The Book of Genesis
The Foundations of Western Civilization
The Great Ideas of Psychology
The Historical Jesus
The History of Ancient Rome
The History of the English Language
The Joy of Mathematics
The Joy of Science
The New Testament
The Old Testament
The Story of Human Language
The Theory of Evolution: A History of Controversy
We also have sets to help you learn Colloquial Persian, Italian, Portuguese and/or French. Or enjoy Lee's Lieutenants or Sci FI of MechWarrior Dark Age – 26 of them, or, or, or….!
And this isn't all of the sets on hand! They are located in the hall on the metal shelves, right across from the Pay Phones and they're bargains!
Monday, September 21, 2009
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Friday, September 18, 2009
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
It doesn't seem possible, but it is true. One week from tonight we will begin our Fall 09 Semi-Annual Used Book Sale!
3. Dealers. Some non-dealer patrons ask us why we allow dealers to come and purchase so many books. Some of our dealer and reseller patrons have been loyal and faithful book buyers for years. We appreciate their business. We know there are other book sales, and they choose to spend their money with us. If the non-dealer patrons would or could purchase the volume of books the dealers do, we could ban dealers. But we wouldn't because we LIKE our dealer friends, and we LIKE our non-dealer patrons, so we just ask that everyone give others a measure of grace. If we all act like we are civilized, we will
4. Backpacks -- we banned these during the Children's Book Sale and it was such a more pleasant environment that we will continue this practice. No backpacks -- not the kind that holds stuff and not the kind that holds kids. If you have to bring little ones, please be aware that there will be NO children's books, and that we will no longer allow backpacks to carry the kids in. Fire Marshal rules prohibit strollers.
Monday, September 14, 2009
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Each week, Raven at Raven's Nest gives us 15 words to work into a paragraph or short story. One can do a mini (5 words), the challenge (10 words) or the maxi (15). This is a great opportunity to get your literary and imaginative juices flowing. We'd love for you to join us! Just e-mail us for details!
Friday, September 11, 2009
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Saturday, September 5, 2009
Play Wordzzle with us!
Friday, September 4, 2009
Thursday, September 3, 2009
It's that time of the year again -- the Reston Regional Friends are collecting jigsaw puzzles for our puzzle sale in November. Please bring your puzzles, with lids taped shut, to the circulation desk to donate. Please ensure that the puzzles are complete.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
- Something for everyone:
- Fiction (Paper and Hardback)
- Cookbooks, Hobbies, Self-Help
- Sports, Mystery, Science Fiction
- History, Computers, Business
- Poetry & Literature, Humor and MORE!
- Fiction (Paper and Hardback)
- Prices range from .50 for rack paperbacks to $1.50 for hardbacks in like-new condition. Higher prices may apply for exceptional or rare books.
- We restock all day every day of the sale, so shop early and shop often! Some book types sell out sooner than others, so it's better to come sooner than later.
- There will be no children's, young adults, or teacher specific materials.
- No backpacks of any kind -- the ones that hold children or anything else.
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
The DVD series is actually Guns, Germs and Steel and it was a very well regarded National Geographic series based on the Pulitzer Prize winning book of the same name by Jared Diamond. Our copy is $18.50 at RestonFriends1.
Perhaps something more peaceful appeals to you? How about
Verdi? Nabucco, Verdi’s third opera isn’t exactly peaceful, but it is
music and they say that soothes the savage whatever. This Deutsches Gramaphone recording on CD is of the Berlin State Opera Orchestra and gets excellent reviews. Our copy is only $16.50 at RestonFriends1.
And finally, something to stimulate your palate. Roger Verge’s Vegetables in the French Style by the creator of Moulin de Mougins in the South of France is enticing enough to turn a meat eater into a vegetarian. Interesting recipes are accompanied by beautiful photography and excellent recipes. Our copy is new, and only $28 at RestonFriends1.
These and many more are available at RestonFriends1. If you are a current
local Friend, we can get them to you without you paying shipping costs. E-mail us!