Monday, March 29, 2010

Old and Interesting

I hope that when I'm old I'm interesting.  But, if not, I hope I have old and interesting books to keep me company!

Here are some very old, and quite interesting bound copies of magazines from years gone by.  I keep looking at them thinking what fantastic resources they would be for writers who want to capture the flavor of a time gone by. It appeals to the mystery reader in me to figure out how some of these "newsy in their own time" articles would give context to a story set in that period.

None of them are overly attractive, but they are all very cool.  If you're interested in any of these, e-mail us.

Photos by Darlene

The Eclectic Magazine of Foreign Literature, Science, and Art
bound vol LI, Sept - Dec 1860 / ed & publ by W H. Bidwell, publ 1860 [NY] / 3/4 bound in leather, five ribs on the spine / marbled boards scuffed / marbled endpapers are bright / binding tight / index, 572 pgs, incl engravings








Harper's Magazine
bound volume / 1856 / incl Dickens serial, article on "Negroland", article on Great Seal of the US







The Atlantic Monthly: A Magazine of Literature, Science, Art, and Politics
bound vol XIX, Jan - Jun 1867
bound vol XX, July - Dec 1867
publ Ticknor & Fields [Boston]
each volume:  3/4 bound in leather, plain endpapers cracked at hinges but bindings tight / index, 764 pgs

No comments :