Here are the handouts from the Community Dialogue Meeting last Saturday. This link will refresh your memory about it.
The link to the first document is titled FY 2011 Community Dialogues/Budget Development.
This is the link to the back side of that, titled the FCPS Fall 2009 Community Dialogue Meetings; Closing the Budget Gap for FY 2011.
The strategies the working groups were asked to consider were:
Potential Strategies: (Listed in no particular order and based on preliminary data)
1. Distribute reductions equally against all departments in both the County and Schools.
2.Distribute reductions equally against all departments in both the County and Schools but allow for some exceptions that should take a larger or smaller measure of the overall reductions)
3. Eliminate a specific County or Schools program or service. (please specify)
4. Reduce a specific County or Schools program or service. (please specify) For example, reduce the quality (level of service) or quantity (service hours or number of participant slots, etc.) of a specific program or service.
5. Adjust the real estate tax rate:
a. Each 1 cent generates 18 million in revenue for the General Fund.
b. Each 1 cent equates to $41 for the average homeowner.
c. An 11 cent increase would keep the average homeowner's tax bill at slightly less than the 2010 level.
6. Pursue other sources of revenue:
a. Local Vehicle Registration Fee
$25 fee would generate $20 million in revenue
$33 fee would generate $27 million in revenue
b. Fee increases
- Are there specific programs/services that you would be willing to pay a higher fee? (please specify)
- Are there specific programs/services that should charge a fee but currently do not? (please specify)
Longer Term Solutions to Explore
7. Meals Tax
a. Not viable for FY 2011 budget consideration
b. Requires a voter referendum and a majority of voters would have to approve
c. Each one percent would generate $20 million in additional revenue up to a maximum of four percent or $80 million